Senior Portfolio Seminar

CRWR 453 Spring 18

Maggy’s Response to “Sunshine State”

As I think we have all decided, Gerard’s strength lies in this style of essay, journalism hybrid. On too many occasions to count, and also evident in “The Mayor of Williams Park,” she lets those she interviews really tell the story. There is a whole peripheral cast of characters around her main character, Ralph, and they allow her access to him. Not in the literal sense, but they have history with the man she is writing about. She cannot create this relationship with him herself, and because of his seemingly unhinged mental state, she cannot rely on him to tell the story of the sanctuary’s rise and fall. She often lets readers into her interview process as well.

In her usual style, Gerard makes quick and concise turns to the “big picture.” She does this seamlessly, and it is something that I admire in her work and try to emulate in my own. One page 231 she begins with a quote from Ralph: “‘If we destroy the environment for the wildlife, we destroy the human race as well.’ In the end, the city turned the plot into a landfill.”

As far a narrative techniques are concerned, Gerard picks descriptive details and dialogue with clear intention to develop the character for the reader. This is most obvious with Ralph (240, 265, 266, 271). She also takes her time to set up scenes visually (241). She even includes some foreshadowing (258). The quality of this essay has a detective novel feel at points as well. This draws the reader through the piece.

I’m also thinking about what JGB said earlier in the semester. That it would be smart to look at the title of this collection as not only the name of the place, but to also see the irony in the name. I think this is very clear on page 277, when she finally gains “access” to the warehouse – which has been described before, repeatedly, as dark.

1. How do we feel Florida plays into this piece, both thematically and visually?
  2. What is this essay critiquing?
  3. What sympathy, if any, do we have for Ralph, and how does Gerard create that sympathy?
  4. In what ways, if any, is this essay considered “personal,” or would you argue it is almost purely an article?