Senior Portfolio Seminar

CRWR 453 Spring 18

Maggy’s Final Gerard Response

“Rabbit” feels like the most “personal” essay we have read in this collection. “Records” kept us at a distance. In other words, “Records” felt more constructed than “Rabbit.” This second to last essay came across as more deeply felt, and perhaps that is because these experiences feel more present/recent considering Gerard’s grandma’s state; furthermore, the state of Gerard’s husband. The shift the essay took (quite frankly, the whole collection) was really quite astounding to me. The diagnosis of her husband, and how Gerard copes with it, is a huge part of Gerard that was withheld from the reader throughout the entire essay and collection. When she finally mentions the diagnosis, it is only for a moment. All of the characteristics of Gerard are present – strong, brief scene choices and intentional quotes – but what really struck me about this essay is how much she really opened up her internal world (as opposed to the external world she has been sharing with us) to the audience. I also think The Velveteen Rabbit works beautifully in this essay.

“Before: An Inventory” is definitely an experimental type of essay. As Emma mentioned in her post, Gerard seems to be tracking backwards from her thirtieth birthday. I don’t know if I believe the “before” just has to do with this milestone birthday, but as someone who has not yet turned thirty, perhaps it is enough to inspire this inventory. There are some weird repetitions and trends. Most notable are a “sexually frustrated cat,” dogs, and all sorts of other animals and bugs. When we read “BFF” at the beginning of the semester, another non-traditional essay, JGB had wondered if another experimental style would end the collection. Evidently, it has, but I wonder what the intent of this was – from the editor or Gerard. Of course, we’ve had a lot of discussions about an editor’s successes and failures in the ordering of this collection.