Senior Portfolio Seminar

CRWR 453 Spring 18

Kollin’s Response to “The Mayor of Williams Park”

I found it interesting that in this chapter we meet the essay collection’s first black protagonist: a man called G.W. Rolle who we learn is not only an ordained minister but also helps serve the homeless population. Again, like we’ve seen her do before, Gerard introduces a larger concept: the problem of homelessness in the state of Florida. We soon learn that G.W. Rolle was once homeless himself, on and off the street since he was fourteen. We learn also that G.W. Rolle is a convicted felon and that he had wanted instead to be a lawyer or teacher. This opens the essay up to other larger concepts: mass incarceration in America, the problem of employment after incarceration, the targeting of homeless individuals, and, on a smaller scale, the Pinellas County Jail.

One thing I think Gerard does particularly well is present to us a convicted fellon who also enjoys things like writing, and making stories. I believe she does this in order for the reader to believe in the multi-diminsionality of people: the tendencies to be good, bad, and both at the same time.